Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Young Single Adult FHE on the Beach

About 8 days ago we had an FHE activity on the beach with just the youth (young single adults) in the ward. It was all planned by the youth, and we even had some youth from other wards show up. Hector and I brought two people for the LDS Employment Center so it was about 30 or more people. I recorded it as follows in my journal:

“Bruno, who will go a mission soon, gave the lesson and then it was opened up for a testimony meeting. It was so serene. There was a gentle ocean breeze, not to hot, not to cold. The lights from the city gave us just enough light to see each other and you could hear the waves crashing against the sore. Because Bruno was leaving on a mission there were many mission stories shared, and many talked of bearing testimony about Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith and the restored gospel and it really struck me. My testimony really started with Joseph Smith, my family went on a church history tour and when we were at Carthage jail I felt the Lord’s presence and the Spirit so strong as they had played “A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief”, Joseph Smith's favorite hymn. To look around and think, how did I get here? It seemed like the end of the earth, and there were 20 plus young single adults huddled in a circle, all of their own volition, their own planning, bearing their testimonies of the restored gospel, Christ, and Joseph Smith. The prophecy that Joseph Smith’s name would be known for good or evil through out the whole world is coming true. To know that these young were gathered today, to know I was there today, because a young boy went to a grove to pray and then had the courage to tell the world what he saw was truly a tender mercy of God.”

No comments: